Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Working it Out

What motivates you to do something? Is it internal or external? Jealousy or personal achievement? For me it HAS to be internal but I will admit that it usually begins with external motivation. I usually see something that I want or want to do and then almost do a "gut check" to see if I have the time, talent, patience, resources or true endurance to accomplish it or attain it!

This time, for me it's working out and getting back to the physical shape that I am meant to be in. Over the last couple of years I have put my physical self on hold by not getting to the gym, not eating smart and just putting me on the back burner while I was working...well, overworking! I am one to be busy but not be able to put my all into more than one, maybe two, things. For me this was kids and work.....kids and work. Everything else was just shoved aside like my old college going out clothes.

Well, I have been working it all out and now that I have taken out the variable of work, I am able to change those priorities and taking care of me is one of them! I am training for a sprint triathlon on Thanksgiving (that's only about 4 weeks away!) and I am very excited and motivated to complete my second one. I have been swimming (the easiest part of the triathlon for me), cycling (at the gym) and running.....and let me pause for a minute on running...

Running was my nemesis. Worse than that. I vowed to train and improve on my run. So I decided to load up my ipod with MP3s that I actually enjoy. This has been my life saver! I mean I am looking forward to running, run when I need a time out and just can't wait to pop on my headphones and go! So far I don't have anything to brag about...AT ALL. But, I am motivated and working to build up distance each time. My run is only 2 miles and it's the first thing I do in the tri so things are looking up! Believe it or not I have started throwing around the "H" word.....Half Marathon! Then I pinch myself and realize that I need to improve my run time on the triathlon before I do that! However, I see it in my future!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment